If you had the choice of wearing yoga pants or a business suit all day… which would you choose?
If you’re noticing more women rocking lululemons outside of the yoga studio, that is because the athleisure trend has been on the rise over the last few years. Some say it’s not a trend. These numbers would prove them right.
- In a 3-month period (2014 vs 2015), yoga pants sales grew 341%.
- In 2015, sports bras made up 20% of the bra market.
- Despite luxury’s foray into athleisure wear, only 3% of the athletic wear market is held by luxury brands (making it more accessible).
Another winning fact…women are the driving force behind this 44 billion dollar industry (in the U.S alone). Morgan Stanley projects that sales will hit over $350 billion by the year 2020 (Woah!). A major reason for the bump in this industry and its massive popularity is because it has filled a gap in the market place; where clothing that was functional wasn’t necessarily “trendy.”
Here are some of the women founders behind athleisure brands on the rise:
- Tyler Haney, Outdoor Voices
- Robyn Berkley, Live the Process
- Kate Hudson, Fabletics
- Tamara Hill Norton, Sweaty Betty
- Vaiana Attinger, Le Motto
- Rishi Bali, Yogasmoga
- Olivia VanCott (Co-Founder), Kiava